True to the annual tradition we participated in the NRRL field day the first weekend in september. Similarly to the IARU region 1 field day, participants are required to set up a dedicated radio station for the contest and are not allowed to use the power grid. This year we went back to Samatun utleiehytte, where we have been for field day the previous two years.
The QTH is suitable for radio contests due to its location 450m above sea level and relatively flat surroundings. Located in JP53HC, it is just a 1,5 hours drive from Trondheim.
For 20m, 15m and 10m we used our Spiderbeam mulitiband yagi, which worked great. The 40m bananaphone shortened dipole we have used earlier lacked a few essential parts and was therefore not used this year. Instead we used a 40m wire dipole, along with the usual wire dipoles for 60m and 80m.
We planned to put our home made “Bananaphone” 40m dipole in the mast popularly referred to as “Røde Kors masten”. However, since the antenna was incomplete, we only had wire dipoles in it.
The conditions were good. An opening on 15m and 10m on Sunday gave us quite a few extra QSOs.
Band Mode QSOs Pts DXC Pt/Q 3.5 LSB 112 274 17 2.4 5 FT8 56 67 31 1.2 5 LSB 1 1 1 1.0 7 LSB 335 660 30 2.0 14 RTTY 5 9 2 1.8 14 USB 425 812 37 1.9 21 USB 84 180 11 2.1 28 FT8 77 83 17 1.1 28 USB 4 4 3 1.0 Total Both 1099 2090 149 1.9 Score: 311,410
The total score ended on 311 410, which is more than last year. The FT8 QSOs are new this year which, we may continue with next year.
We have earlier made QSOs over LEO (Low Earth Orbit) FM satellites during previous Field Days, but this year we also tried to get QRV with the geostationary satellite qo-100. We have earlier been QRV with qo-100 from our permanent station, but now we needed a portable setup. Our setup is LA2QUAs Adam Pluto, which is used for both TX and RX.
We reused the amplifiers from the previous setup, including a student project from an NTNU course and a commercially available DB6NT amplifier. The Adam Pluto has a lower output power than the USRP used in the previous setup, but with LA2QUA’s CN0417 amplifier we were able to get 10 W output by chaining all of them. As antennas we acquired a used 90cm dish and borrowed a 2.4 GHz grid parabolic antenna, both from LA1BFA.
The receiver chain worked well, but we did not manage to make the transmitting chain QRV. The software took a long time to set up, and we had some technical issues with the final amplifier stage. Because of this we did not get any QSOs over qo-100 this year, but we will continue and we have hopes for next field day.
Due to limited space indoors in the cabin and personal preferences did some of the participants sleep in tents. Some brought sports tents, there were one lavo and one hammock.
There were also 3 dogs joining us this year. Alpha is a veteran of several Field Days.
Thanks to the board for making this possible!