In September and October, we will be running the special callsign LM100UKA to celebrate the 100-year aniversary of the UKA-festival.
The UKA festival is a festival that has been arranged by students at the Student Society of Trondheim once every second autumn since 1917 (except for the war years of 1941 and 1943). The festival originally grew out of a student revue at the student society, in the early days lasting a week hence the name (“uka” translates to “the week”). The revue is still an integral part of the festival to this day, but the festival has grown to last for three weeks and now includes multiple concerts and various social arrangements.
This year, artists who will be performing at the festival includes Highasakite and Cashmere Cat. To get more information about the festival, please check out https://uka.no/ (Norwegian).
After a long break, Henrik LB5DH and I decided to start working on the SSTV project again.
This time we wanted to look on how we wanted to mount and secure the antenna up on the roof.
We found an old foot on the loft, which seems to work well for our installation.
We later found that we could rest the antenna on the roof without it, but in the finished installation we will be sure to make use of it.
The antenna after taking it down
The mounting solution
For mounting the guy wires we drilled two holes through the pipe on the opposite sides of each other.
This way we got four points for securing the mast. Luckily we already had structures on the roof to secure it to.
Temporary length of wire added
The issues came when trying to tune the antenna. Even though the antenna tuned fine inside, it gave us different results with the best SWR around 100Mhz when we took it outside.
This drop was the closest to 1:1 ratio we could find.
We tried adding more spools, extending the wire etc with not too good results. We did have a drop at about 3-4 in SWR around 10-11Mhz, so we seem to be close.
It does seem like the antenna isn’t reading it’s full length, so we’ll have to do some more calculations before proceeding with mounting the antenna.
We’d also like to mention that the SDR dongle has arrived, and initial testing has showed us that the direct sampling technique will work adequately for us.
More info about this and the antenna is coming soon!